38+ Years of Experience Handling Maritime Law Cases Throughout California & The U.S.
Maritime Law Attorney
What does a maritime Attorney do?
Maritime Accidents & Maritime Matters Are Subject to Different Laws
A certain group of laws and regulations applies to maritime accidents injuries and maritime business matters. There are many laws in a maritime case which do not apply to accidents which occur on land. These unique laws and regulations are sometimes called “Admiralty laws” and they apply to specific situations and specific categories of people.
For example, a person who’s injured while working as a crewman on a ship may file a lawsuit under a different type of law than someone who gets hurt while working on an offshore oil exploration platform.
A passenger may file a different claim than a crewman. The damages you are able to recover may differ based on the circumstances of your injury and which maritime laws apply in your specific case. Some injuries that occur dockside can fall under maritime law as well.
What should you Do if you think you need a Maritime Attorney?
If you’ve been injured in any type of maritime accident, you may have significant medical costs and mounting bills facing you. Your injuries may be life changing and you may be confused about what to do next.
If you’re in this type of situation, please contact Peter Pfund regarding pursuing a maritime claim through a completely free and confidential consultation by calling 949-221-0166. Let us deal with your legal issues so you can focus on your recovery.
When does Maritime law apply And How Do I Know If It Applies to My Case?
Were you in Navigable Waters?
Maritime Law is a body of laws and regulations covering issues that happens on what is known as navigable waters. These are bodies of water used for interstate and international commerce and include interconnected systems of lakes, rivers, seas and oceans.
You might be able to file a lawsuit under state or federal laws for compensation for your injuries. Peter Pfund can help explain your legal options and help you decide the best legal course of action for you to take based on your current situation and where you are today.
Have you been involved in a Maritime Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a maritime accident, you may be entitled to recover the following damages in an offshore injury claim.
- Medical Costs
- Loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Physical limitations
- Permanent disability
- Laws of Liability are unique in Maritime cases. Compensation may be different as well.
- You may be entitled to what’s called “maintenance and cure” under the Jones Act. Payments vary and failure to provide maintenance and cure may invoke penalties
Other Types of Maritime Accidents
You might be entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation and Disability under the Longshore Harbor Workers Compensation Act, the Outer Continental Shelf leasing laws, and a Defense Base Act impairment rating.
Employees can suffer injuries while at port, equipment related injuries, ship accidents, mooring line injures, injuries as a result of insufficient manpower, and other maritime injuries.
Has a Loved One or Family member Experienced a Wrongful Death Or Fatal Maritime Injury?
Wrongful Death or Fatal Maritime Injury Lawsuits
If a loved one was fatally injured while working offshore or at a dock, you can seek the legal assistance of Peter Pfund through a free and confidential consultation about your loss.
You may be unsure of how to deal with mounting bills and loss of income to cover expenses while the claim is pending.
You might be entitled to recover the following from a wrongful death or a death on the high seas act claim:
- Burial and Funeral expenses
- Loss of love, comfort, companionship and society
- Loss of care, support maintenance advice & counsel
- Loss of expected or existing financial contributions
You shouldn’t have to go through any more pain on your own. Hire a maritime expert to legally analyze your claim, apply the correct law to your factual situation and prove your case to get you the monetary compensation that you and your family deserves.
Other Areas of Maritime Law that a Maritime Lawyer Can help with
38+ Years of Proven, Experience In Dealing With A wide Range Of Maritime Cases
Peter Pfund has dealt with a wide range of Maritime cases throughout California and the U.S. with over thirty eight years of experience. Mr. Pfund has successfully dealt with maritime cases like the following:
- Broken pipes that result in fire or explosions
- Unsecured tools or objects falling onto the deck or into the ocean
- Improperly maintained equipment which fails or is defective
- Slippery decks
- Failure of a cat head or other part of a vessel which causes an injury
- Leaking of toxic chemicals or fumes
- Broken cables which hit workers or passengers
- Pipe tongs or other items breaking or malfunctioning causing injury
- Helicopter or boating accidents while traveling to or from a platform or other vessel
- Insufficient training or man power, human error cases
- Unseaworthiness type cases from outdated or aging equipment which fails and causes injury
- Loss of situational awareness which causes a collision or grounding. Insufficient crew on watch
- Mooring line accidents
- Insufficient training of employees
Have you been involved in any Type of Maritime Accident like these cases?
Need a Maritime Attorney to Help You with Maritime Business Matters?
Maritime Business Attorney
Mr. Pfund has successfully handled the following types of maritime business matters and can help you complete maritime business matters in the following areas:
- Ship Building And Repair Contracts
- Ship Sales And Purchases
- Registration And Ownership
- Charter Parties
- Salvage Claims
- Jurisdiction And Salvage
- General Average
- Ports And Pilotage
- Limitation Of Liability
- Enforcement Of Maritime Liens
- Vessel Arrest
- Offshore Oil And Gas Workers Injuries
- Personal Injuries Including Wrongful Death And Fatal Accidents
- Carriage Of Goods By Sea
- Cargo Claims
- Alternate Dispute Resolution And Maritime Litigation. General Business Formation And Legal Advice. International Affiliations With Local Counsel To Form Foreign Business Entities.
Maritime Law Practice Areas
Need a Maritime Attorney in California?
Mr. Pfund has successfully dealt with the following types of cases and specializes in the following types of maritime law areas:
- Maritime Law and maritime business transactions
- Ocean, Harbor and Boating Accidents
- Ship collisions, salvage claims, Cargo Claims and subrogation claims
- Commercial fisherman’s accidents and injuries
- Jones Act Claims
- Cruise Ship and Passenger Claims and injuries
- Offshore Oil and Gas worker’s claims and Injuries
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death, and Fatal Maritime Accidents
- Maritime Business Law including Contracts, Ship sales, international ship registration and ownership, charterparties
- Representation in alternative dispute resolution including meditation, arbitration or Maritime Litigation.
- International Maritime Claims and enforcement of maritime liens
Need to Talk to an Experienced Maritime Lawyer?
Get Your Free & Confirdential Consultation Today
Call today to schedule a free 30 minute consultation to start discuss your current situation with an independent, experienced and licensed attorney to plan out the next steps to getting your current legal problems resolved and get answers to your questions from a proven and experienced maritime lawyer.